Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Crap I've Made from Pinterest, Vol. 2

The problem with Pinterest is that everything looks so damn easy. Everything is just three steps, calls for ingredients you already have, takes only 15 minutes, and voila! You too can have a fully lined tulle ball gown and beef bourguignon simmering away by the end of an afternoon. No heavy lifting required.

Bullshit.

And yet...

I was seduced once again by the siren call of big, bouncy, curly hair. If you know me at all, you know that all I want in life is Big Hair. For Christmas one year, my mom gave me the entire Big Sexy Hair system (shampoo, conditioner, mousse, hair spray). I figured it was only fair because it's her fault I have this hair. My never-ending quest for big hair even led to me having a perm for much of high school. Not an 80s perm, but still. I willingly smelled like rotten eggs for a couple days every few months. All for Big Hair.

I have curlers I never use because it never seems to work right (and they're velcro - I think that's a big part of the problem), but when I saw this on Pinterest, I just couldn't resist. And who doesn't want to look like that with curlers in their hair?

It was New Year's Eve. I had a new Chanel-style sweater from Target. I had two parties to go to. I wanted Big Hair. So, I bought curl spray gel stuff and followed the instructions on the site. I dutifully separated sections, sprayed and combed the gel through, rolled each section, sprayed on a light dusting of hair spray, and warmed it all with the hair dryer.

I let it sit for an hour. One hour.

And then... I took out the curlers.


When the manfriend finally stopped laughing, he said, "Well... honey... at least your hair is long."

2 comments:

  1. hahahaha!!!! You look gorgeous no matter what! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Professional hair curlers are often associated with the hairstyles of the older generation aka the elderly, who get their weekly sets done. This has turned the younger generation of ladies away from using them."
    -This person was clearly never in show choir. Curlers are EVERYTHING. And fake eye lashes. You might want to try the hot rollers though. Also if it makes you feel any better, I got a perm in high school because I wanted to look like Sheryl Crow.

    ReplyDelete