Sunday, January 5, 2014

Crap I've Made from Pinterest Vol. 6

Yeah, so we just moved to Oregon, blahblahblah - more on that later.

First mountain sunrise!

Since I'm currently unemployed, my daily tasks are to UNPACK ALL THE THINGS and make dinner for the husbeard (note: manfriend has been upgraded due to wedding). He requested spaghetti tonight and since we're in Oregon and I had the time, I decided to try my hand at making pasta sauce from scratch.

I found this recipe on Pinterest and used it as a jumping off point.

What I actually used:
Olive oil (just poured some in the pan, probably 2-3 tablespoons)
1 yellow onion
12 garlic cloves
6 roma tomatoes
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1.5-2 teaspoons of sugar
Entire package of basil
Half package of oregano

Chopped everything first, like a good cook. Put the onion in with the olive oil and cooked it down until translucent, then added the garlic for about a minute or so. Added the tomatoes, salt, and sugar. Let that all cook down to deliciousness next.


Once that was good and liquidy, I added the basil and oregano and cooked them down until wilty (yes, that is the technical term...).


At which time, I had to go collect the husbeard from work. So I took the veggies off the heat and let it all just hang out for a bit. After returning and getting the husbeard's approval of my progress so far, I threw it in the blender where it became sauce! Upon sampling, we decided it needed a little more kick, so I added:

A sprinkling of crushed red pepper flakes
1-1.5 teaspoons of Worchestershire sauce

But the TRULY secret ingredient was the red food dye. Husbeard was convinced the color was wrong, so he added 2 drops of food coloring. Note: no one was joining us for this dinner, so the color hardly mattered. However, it did make it more appetizing to look at. Especially after adding the meat:



Super tasty. Super easy. Not sure if it was actually cheaper than pre-made sauce, since that stuff is pretty cheap, but it was so easy, I'm not sure I'll buy sauce again. And you know... all natural ingredients, customizable, no preservatives/weird chemicals. All good stuff.

1 comment:

  1. mmmm looks good! Please post an Oregon update soon!!!

    ReplyDelete