Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The House Always Wins

I have spent the last week trying to get things ready for Thanksgiving, as outlined in my last post. And now... the house is fighting back!

Crisis! And that's kinda gross. Sorry, guys.

I heard a crash while the manfriend was in the shower this morning and just assumed he was knocking things over. No. The soap dish decided it had had enough and hit the road. Or, rather, the tub.

I already had to go to Home Depot today (a whole other story about the faucet on our kitchen sink), so I figured I'd ask the helpful folks there if they had any tips on reattaching our pissed off soap dish.

At first I thought I could just get a new ceramic dish and stick it on the wall, but no. Our apartment is just outdated enough that not even Home Depot could help on the ceramic soap dish front. Ok fine. I'll just chip all this crap off the back and go from there. But surely that will take hours and I could potentially damage the ceramic? Not  so! Turns out, liquid nails comes off with a little acetone (i.e. nail polish remover)!

Before...

and after! A mere 5 minutes later!
Ok. So far so good.

And then. The liquid nails. The liquid nails!! The nice fells at HD made it seem like I just slap some liquid nails on there, stick it on the wall, and voila! Soap dish on wall! Not so, my friends. Not. So.

First of all, the recess isn't actually big enough to fit the stupid thing, so there a huge gap where it's not even touching the wall. Second, liquid nails doesn't work that way. There should have been clamping and drying time, etc. etc. I figured this out - two hours later. Not my proudest moment.

I finally realized, when it had fallen off the wall for the fourth time, that home improvements and gambling are much the same: the house always wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment